Geraldine Dougherty photographed by Elsa Mora
Dear Friends of ArtYard,
Our beloved Managing Director, Geraldine Dougherty, had announced her intention to retire from her position at the end of this year. With deep gratitude for her amazing efforts helping us launch ArtYard, we are announcing a hiring opportunity for an experienced non-profit art and business savvy person who would like to join the ArtYard team. Please find all the details below.
The ArtYard team.
The Managing Director will oversee finance and administration including the infrastructure and systems needed to support strategic objectives. Reporting to the executive director (ED), she or he will be responsible for administrative and financial systems including finance, accounting, contracts, human resources, and facilities management of ArtYard’s campus of three properties.
Finance and Budgeting
The Managing Director will create and review the monthly, quarterly, and annual ArtYard financial reporting materials and metrics for the ED, and review with the board of directors twice a year. She or he will develop budgeting, financial forecasting, cash flow documentation and coordinate any audit activities as well as accounts payable and receivable. The Managing Director will oversee the part-time bookkeeper and manage day-to-day oversight of banking and investment accounts. She or he will liaise with accountants and investment team and provide data for development of quarterly investment reports and attend quarterly investment meetings.
He or she will create bi-annual Board of Directors agenda and data package and present at meeting.
The Managing Director will have direct management responsibility for part-time bookkeeper and part-time facilities help. Managing Director will liaise with lawyers, architects, and all vendors. The Managing Director will work with the ED, building design and construction team, and bookkeeper in the development, construction, and oversight of the new ArtYard Gallery and Theater building. The executive will liaise with the program team, overseeing shipping, receipt of artwork, prices lists, and installation of exhibits or other ArtYard events. She or he will coordinate with part-time Technical Director and Theater Projectionist and any of their helpers regarding ArtYard/FilmYard events.
Candidate must be willing to pitch in when necessary at irregular hours on occasion for festivals and special events. In addition, the Managing Director will oversee insurance, development, and execution of contracts. The Managing Director will also partner with ED to ensure the focus remains on the organization’s mission while maintaining the culture that makes ArtYard unique.
The Managing Director of Finance and Administration will have at least 5-plus years of working experience, with at least four years in finance and management. The successful candidate will have experience in running an operationally effective organization with multiple functional areas. Nonprofit arts experience is a plus, with a strong preference for someone who has operated in a fast-growing environment.
Specific requirements include:
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting
- Experience with legal compliance and budget development
- Organization development, human resources management experience
- General management skills
- Proven effectiveness managing others and working with a diverse team many of whom are part-time
- Technologically savvy, with experience overseeing information technology vendor
- Experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to ED monthly and the Board twice a year
- Bachelor’s degree and bookkeeping experience required, experienced with QuickBooks, MS Office, Google docs
- Ability to multitask while maintaining vigilant attention to details
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills
- Outstanding communications skills, written and oral
- Demonstrated resilience, resourcefulness and good judgment
- Hands-on, leads by example, willing to do whatever needs to be done
- Integrity/ethics beyond reproach
- Committed to ArtYard’s mission: ArtYard is an incubator for creative expression and a catalyst for collaborations that reveal the transformational power of art.
- Committed to ArtYard’s playful, inventive, resourceful, collaborative culture
Download PDF: ArtYard’s Managing Director. Job Description
Salary: Mid 50s to mid 60s, depending on experience
Three references required
To be considered for this job:
Step 1: Please sign up HERE
Step 2: Please send resumé and reference contacts by October 1st, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org
(The subject of the email should be JOB APPLICATION).