Film Festival of Joy!
Five days of joyful shorts, features, and documentaries with guest filmmakers and live music performances
ArtYard’s Film Festival of Joy is a celebration of film designed to bring joy back after two-plus years of pandemic isolation. The festival includes joyful shorts, features, and documentaries with guest filmmakers and live music performances.
Each day features a unique theme exploring types of joy — Romantic Joy, Joy of Laughter, Joie du Cinema, Real Joy, Animated Joy, and Joyful Noise. The films are held Wednesday through Sunday, July 13 to 17 at ArtYard’s McDonnell Theater in Frenchtown, NJ.
The festival is curated by Amy Heller and Dennis Doros, co-founders of Milestone Films and premiere purveyors of classic obscure and restored gems of cinema.
The Festival kicks off with an exclusive opening reception at 6:30 PM on Wednesday for Full Joy pass holders. The reception features joyful surprises and a chance to meet the curators.
- Romantic Joy: Two films exploring love in cinema, including a groundbreaking recently rediscovered silent film
- Joy of Laughter: Silent comedies with live music by Ben Model, one of the nation’s leading silent film accompanists
- Joie du Cinema!: A feature showcasing French musical joy and a selection of amateur films celebrating the love for cinema. Join us dressed in costume as your favorite Hollywood character and you may be awarded a special prize!
- Real Joy: Two documentary screenings and live talkbacks with the filmmakers
- Animated Joy: Six animated shorts for children and the young at heart
- Joyful Noise: A closing night of jubilation and song featuring a performance by the award-winning Paterson-based gospel singers Anointed Friends and a screening of one of the most acclaimed music documentaries of all time
Tickets and passes
The ideal way to experience the Film Festival of Joy is with a Joy Pass. There are three passes available that provide discounted access to screenings and events:
- Full Joy ($80) provides access to all events and an exclusive opening reception with joyful surprises and a chance to meet curators Amy Heller and Dennis Doros
- Saturday Joy ($25) provides access to both documentary screenings part of Real Joy
- Sunday Joy ($25) provides access to both Animated Joy and the closing Joyous Noise screenings
Single screenings are $15 per person.
All ticket sales are final, with no refunds or exchanges.
Where to Purchase
- ONLINE through ArtYard’s Eventbrite page
- IN PERSON at ArtYard’s Box Office located inside the lobby at 13 Front Street, Frenchtown. Hours are 11 AM to 5 PM Wednesday through Sunday.
Health and Safety
Face masks are required to be worn at all times while in the McDonnell Theater.
Please email us at email@example.com or call 908.996.5018 and we’ll respond as quickly as possible.